Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It's Exquisite

... that's fancy for wonderful!!!

Today was a lesson in patience, as no bookstores were open before work and I'm working longer hours in the beginning of the week before a retreat this weekend, so I had to wait until after work to pick up the newest Fancy Nancy book, Bonjour, Butterfly. I was asked by numerous moms through the day, "Did you get it yet??" (I wasn't sure if they meant me personally or if we had it in at the library already.) Adding to the impatience (in both a good and a bad way) was the following phone call from my best friend that went something like this:

"I'm standing in Barnes and Noble, holding a glittering yellow covered book."
"FANCY NANCY!!!!"

I already wrote about how wonderful this series is a little over a week ago, but I had to add my official review: wonderful, adorable, fantastic and every fancy word I can't think of at the moment. I have to say, although nothing tops the original, this one ranks up there. I like it more than Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy! I love that the family is so central to this series. There'd be no story without Nancy's family, and that's true of each of the books in the series. This book finds Nancy upset that she can't go to her friend's butterfly-themed birthday party because her grandparents 50th anniversary party is the same day. Her parents deal with the situation, reinforce the family, and Nancy learns a lesson (as well as some French and oh-so-fancy words!) The glittery illustrations don't hurt either! The early readers are also out and good reads. Again, some great lessons as well as the girly-ness and fancy words (all explained for young readers). And the ending to Fancy Nancy and the Boy from Paris was pretty cute! Fancy Nancy's here to stay!

No comments: