Monday, June 1, 2009

Krosoczka Countdown

Yep, if you've ever asked me my favorite picture book, you've heard the name. Jarrett Krosoczka. The name that I can pronounce and spell as if it were my own, so often do I type/say it. If you too would like to learn how to pronounce Jarrett's name, go to this website and have a little listen. (Jon Scieszka's is pretty good, too!) He's one of the three (along with Scieszka and Mo Willems) that I could go on and on about. One of the three picture book author/illustrators I would probably act like a giddy girl in front of, embarrassing myself wholeheartedly.


Sooooooo, anyway. He's coming out with a graphic novel series for the grade school set, which I am uber-excited about, and not just because one of the titles features the word "librarian". It's from the comic and illustrating-talent brain of one of my favorites; the addition of librarians only increases the fun. But this series about a superhero Lunch Lady and her sidekicks is sure to be awesome. So since I have to wait *patiently* for the end of July before they'll be released. I wanted to share one of Jarrett's books.


So, as I mentioned, I kind of talk about one of his books in particular all the time. If you've known me long enough, you know my love for Punk Farm. As crazy as a barnyard band playing the punk version of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" is, the rest of his books are pretty spot on "normal"... but definitely not boring. He tackles a friend who's a little too clingy in My Buddy, Slug (like that the clingy friend is a slimy suctiony slug?), a girl running errands with her mom in Giddy Up, Cowgirl, and one that covers something every parent has experienced: a child's self-haircut.


In Baghead, Josh goes through an entire day, from breakfast, riding the bus, giving a report (about a boy and his friend Slug!), soccer practice and dinner, with a brown paper bag on his head. After each adult asks him why he's doing such a thing, he continues to keep the bag on and not explain. The big reveal of Josh's brown bag statement is met by a smart and stylish sister who comes up with a genius (spiky) solution! The illustrations, as always, are amazing. The font of the words even fits in with the page. And most important, the story will resonate with parent and child alike!


If you've never read anything by Jarrett Krosoczka, do yourself a favor. Go to your nearest library and pick one (or 5!) up right away! He's got many famous authors/illustrators saying he's the next big thing! (Not to brag, but I've known about him and been singing his praises for over 3 years! When I found out he was friends with Mo and Jon, and they were my three favorite... I nearly squealed with joy! Yes, I'm a children's book nerd.)

No comments: